Saturday, August 18, 2012

Easter Egger X Cuckoo Marans young roo

     Have you ever had that moment when you knew that you wanted something more out of life.... something more fulfilling than just scratching off the next chore on the daily "To-do" list?
     Well, maybe this is the beginning of the answer to that question I have had for about 10 years now. You see, I did what most people consider to be the normal successful thing to do. I graduated high school with a decent GPA, went on to college to become a science teacher, and I then began my teaching career. Within 6 months, I realized my first life mistake. I do NOT want to be a teacher! I quit with the threat of losing my teaching license all together, but quit I did. I felt like I had let my then newly-wed husband down. I felt that I had let my parents down. I started teaching again that next year because we needed income. The school was wonderful. The students were great. I was so utterly bored. I did as many activities with my students as I could, including frequent outdoor excursions to look at bugs and catch frogs (things I find incredibly interesting). My high school students wanted to "hang out" instead of collecting soil samples. So, I "retired" from teaching, and that next summer my husband and I were well on our way to expecting our first little one. Five years later, with one attending Kindergarten and another in preschool, I have something I have not had for the past ten years of "what-ifs." I have a simple little word that gives so much... time.
   I am very fortunate because my husband's job supports us. He said that he wants me to find something I am passionate about... something that fulfills my soul... something that I would do if I had, you guessed it, time. So, I'll tell you what I'm passionate about and some of what you should expect to read about on this blog. The following list is in no particular order of importance:
-photography
-homesteading
-chickens
-horses
-gardening
-rearing children with a respect for the land
-family
-friendships
-animal husbandry
-cooking
-crafting
-sewing
-painting
     Please come along with me on this life journey and let's one day share our history together. But, first thing's first. What should we scratch off first on our soul's "To-do" list?

5 comments:

  1. So happy for you! My dream is similar to yours although I'm older and my kids are grown. Now I want my grandkids to say they want to go to Lolli and Pop's farm. And my only grandbaby is not yet a year old and another is on the way. Dreams coming true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the very first person to comment on my very first day of blogging. You have no idea how much that means to me. I believe that age is of no importance where dreams are concerned. I hope that Lolli and Pop's farm does indeed come to fruition. After all, you have a couple of years to make it happen before your first little grandbaby can say it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are doing what you're doing. My dream list is similar, but I'm not quite sure if I'm idealizing the farm life, or if I would actually love it and do it well. I love the sewing, crafting, quilting, cooking, meal planning, child rearing, painting -- all that creative outlet stuff. I love the idea of growing our own food.... but I've never kept a garden alive on my own.

    I feel stuck in suburbia right now - but I keep dreaming of having some land for the boys to run & play on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to read this! I know there is a lot more that I can learn from you. Thanks you for helping us with our first chicken processing day.

    ReplyDelete